Why Ramadhan Kareem?

4:42 PM



During my radio show as I bid my listeners farewell and wishing them a blessed month, my radio guest that I hosted went out to mention 'Ramadhan Kareem' as I thanked him for his time and being on the show. I got stuck in shock as he said that and the entire sound engineering and editing team as well. The poor guy went on signalling that I was still on air and went on to sign off with ' This is Rummy wishing you all a pleasant evening and a Ramadhan Mubarak'.


'What did you do?' we all bombarded the guy with this question. He still couldn't figure out what he did so wrong until we mentioned to him that we are not ALLOWED to say Ramadhan Mubarak on air as per a decree that prevents us from so. And then it crossed my mind...


Out of all the phrases in the world, the Arabs had to settle with Ramdhan Kareem?! We are so used to saying this popular phrase when we actually don't even know what it literally means.  A word that is politcially and religiously wrong on so many levels. The adjective Kareem means generous and it doesn't make sense that a month can be generous. A person is, Allah is, but a month? Hmmm... so wrong yet we still keep on uttering and repeating it to everyone we know. Heck we even taught it to foreigners and it has become a catch phrase we can't live without.


May you all have a blessed Ramadhan...!! :D  
.

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

  1. Sorry, but I didn't get it. So, we are not allowed to say Ramadhan Mubarak or what exactly? and why? :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and Ramadan is being generous with it's blessing. So I don't see what's wrong with saying Ramadan Kareem!
    Kil 3am winti b5air :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could say Ramadhan Mubarak but not Ramadhan Kareem is what I was getting at. There has been a consensus over here and The Ministry of Awqaf issued a decree that said we are not supposed to say Ramadhan Kareem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And no Ramadhan isn't generous because the blessings actually come from Allah and not from the month itself. It's not a living thing for us to say it's generous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramadan Mubarak Rumm Rummz!! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Follow on Twitter

Follow on Instagram